These sandwiches are perfect for company and are always a hit. I’ve made this several times when my husband had friends over helping him on a construction project. They are always gobbled up and hugely popular.
This recipe is from Foodtv.com from a guest author (Nancy Jessup, Mangia, New York City) featured on Sarah’s Secrets.
I’m so bored with sandwiches (it seems they are always pretty much the same) but not with these. Nothing boring here!
Oh my gosh, the first time I made these, I knew I was going to keep this recipe forever.
These sandwiches are a little spicy from the chipotle pepper mayo (which is super easy to make), and together with the avocado and tomatoes they are the perfect summer lunch sandwich recipe.
Broil them for a short time in the oven to make them hot and crispy and melt the pepper jack cheese on top. My mouth is watering just writing this!
If you are making this for kids, or people who don’t like things very spicy, it is super easy to use half the amount of chipotle pepper in the mayo (which I highly recommend and do myself when I make this recipe).
Any cheese would certainly work, although the pepper jack is perfect.
To be honest, I prefer to make this recipe with store bought rotisserie chicken. It is more moist then grilled chicken and obviously much easier.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (I use one)
- Mexican soft rolls (Telera) cut in half
- grilled chicken (recipe follows) I sometimes use store bought rotisserie
- 4 plum tomatoes cut into thin slices
- 1 avocado cut into slices
- sliced pepper jack cheese
- Grilled Chicken:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 1tsp. salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend mayo and chipotle pepper in food processor (or use hand immersion blender) and spread generously on both sides of rolls. Layer on thinly sliced chicken, tomato and avocado, and top with 2 slices of cheese.
- Leaving sandwiches open faced on a sheet pan, bake for 8 minutes. After baking, put tops on sandwiches, cut in half and serve immediately.
- Grilled Chicken:
- Combine all marinade ingredients and marinate chicken for 8 hours or overnight. Grill chicken for 15 to 20 min. or until cooked through.